Monday 22 April 2013

The Merlin, Alderley Edge


Big Bird loves a mid-week lunch with friends, and it happens infrequently enough to make it feel like a special occasion, A favourite spot for some time now has been The Merlin, in Alderley Edge.






The Merlin calls itself a pub, but it's done Alderley Edge style, so has seriously stylish interiors and a menu guaranteed to cause decision stress! 

We start, as does any sensible woman, with the wine list.  It's extensive but not silly and there's lots to choose from by the glass.  The obvious wines are there - a Pinot Grigio, a Sauvignon Blanc, a Merlot, a Malbec - but there are also some less well known and these are definitely worth an explore.  I fancied a rosé (not like me, but was feeling pink!) and thoroughly enjoyed my glass of Cerusuolo (£4.75), from Montepulciano.  Very undemanding, softly fragrant and with a low acidity and short finish.  Perfect when you're making it last across two courses.

We shared the Mediterranean Mezze (£11.95) to start.  It was OK, but rather heavy on the bread and low on the rest.  They offered 'baba ghanoush, harissa hummus, tzatziki, chermoula crusted flatbread & hazelnut dukkah crusted aubergines.'  That's what we got, but only three slices of aubergine and smallish dollops of the dips.  The aubergine was fabulous (hence my wish that they'd been a little more generous!) and the dips very flavoursome. But Merlin...this is Cheshire, more - this is Alderley Edge!  We ladies prefer to limit our carbs - so less bread and more of the tasty stuff next time please!

Now, on to our main courses.  My Pancetta Hash (£7.45) came off the starter list and promised 'savoy cabbage, pancetta lardons and potato with béchamel sauce, topped with a free-range hen’s egg and crispy pancetta'.  It was exactly what it promised and was deliciously, carb-ladenly, luscious.  The starter size was enough, and I didn't need the bread. Crispy chunks of ham wrapped in a thick, creamy sauce with squidgey chunks of soft potato. I'd have liked more cabbage (one has to get one's five a day somehow) and a sprinkle more black pepper, but I'd definitely order it again.

My friend chose the Duck Salad (£11.95).  This was good too. Described as 'crispy duck tossed with mooli, sesame seeds, carrot & cucumber in a plum & hoisin sauce', it met expectations and was polished off happily.

Once again, a lovely lunch in wonderful surroundings.  I'll keep going back because I know I can always rely on the food, the wine, the service and the surroundings to make my very rare lunches with friends a real treat with no risk.  I will be asking for more aubergines next time though.

The Merlin, Wilmslow Road, Alderley Edge, SK9 7QL
01625 599 959





No comments:

Post a Comment